News & Events
Teaching Online with Case Studies
Have you thought about incorporating case studies into your ONLINE courses? Case study discussions are a higher order thinking strategy often used in graduate and professional education to guide learners through the analysis of authentic scenarios involving a dilemma or decision where there is not one “correct” answer.
Join Pitt Online for a synchronous session using Go-to-Meeting on Tuesday, September 29th from 2-3 p.m. We will review a case study about online teaching and actually participate in a synchronous discussion. In addition, we’ll consider best practices for selecting, facilitating, and evaluating case studies in your distance education courses. This is an interactive web-based session that you can attend from anywhere with Internet access.
Dr. Barbara Frey, Senior Instructional Designer, will facilitate the workshop. Click Teaching Online with Case Studies to register!
New MOOC Coming in September!
You can now register for our newest Massive Open Online Course: Disability Awareness and Support! Participants in this course will focus on the topics of disability legislation, universal design, readability and assistive technologies. The four-week course, taught my Dr. Mary Goldberg from the Department of Rehabilitation Science and Technology, will begin on September 21, 2015. The course strives to promote equal opportunity and the full participation of students with disabilities in higher education.
Register for Disability Awareness and Support today!
Quality Matters Workshops - Scheduled for October!
Just announced! Our next co-hort of Quality Matters workshops will be:
- Thursday, October 8, 2015: 8:30am - noon
- Thursday, October 15, 2015: 8:30am - noon
Quality Matters (QM) is a non-profit organization that promotes quality and effectiveness in online learning. The University of Pittsburgh is a subscriber and Pitt Online hosts annual QM workshops, focusing on eight categories of effectiveness.
To learn more and sign up, visit our Quality Matters page!
Congratulations to the University of Pittsburgh Testing Center!
The Testing Center at the University of Pittsburgh was recently awarded Test Center Certification by the National College Testing Association (NCTA)! There are fewer than 100 testing centers in the U.S. and Canada to receive this distinction, so the UPTC is in prestigious company! Criteria for certification are based on the NCTA Professional Standards and Guidelines, which were developed to guide post-secondary test centers in the delivery of quality testing programs.
Congratulations to the entire staff of the UPTC for maintaining high test administration standards and for providing excellent service to a wide variety of students and community members in the Pittsburgh area!
Blackboard Exemplary Course Winners - 4 Years Running!
Pitt Online has earned the Blackboard Exemplary Course Award four consecutive years! Take a tour of the award-winning courses below!
- 2014 - LIS 2600 Introduction to Information Technologies
- 2013 - NURSP 3294 Evidence-Based Quality Improvement
- 2012 - Management Essentials Online
- 2011 - NUR 2261 Organizational and Management Theory
Want to Learn More?
Pitt Online now offers Recorded Virtual Open Houses for many of our online programs! Simply sign up for a Recorded VOH and view at your convenience! Webinars are available for the following programs:
- School of Nursing
- MSN Clinical Nurse Leader (CNL)
- MSN Nursing Informatics
- MSN Nursing Administration
- Post-Masters Doctorate of Nursing Practice (DNP) Post-Masters Nursing Informatics
- Graduate Certificate in Gerontology
- MLIS: Pitt Online
- School of Law
- Graduate School of Public and International Affairs
- Management Essentials Online
- School of Education
- MEd in English and Communications
- MEd in Elementary Education
- MEd in Mathematics Education
- Also: The School of Education offers one-on-one Virtual Open Houses for students interested in the online MEd programs in English and Communications, Elementary Education or Math Education. To download a recorded Virtual Open House or to set up an individual virtual meeting that best suits your schedule, please complete the Recorded Virtual Open House form. You will then be contacted by an enrollment manager!