The Master of Education in English and Communications is a professional degree for those wishing to pursue advanced study in (at least) one field of educational effort, with a goal of attaining a superior level of expertise in that field. This MEd program prepares you with a minimum of 36 credits, including Basic Areas of Education (BAE) courses, a research seminar, required courses in a major field (specialization), and any additional departmental requirements. A comprehensive examination is also required.
Students will work with an English Education faculty advisor to develop a Plan of Studies in the major field that combines work in English Education courses, related studies in education, and related electives from across the university.
Please note that there are no specific pre-requisites for the program.
Admissions Requirements are as follows:
- Completed School of Education Admissions Application;
- A non-refundable application fee of $50 (USD) by credit card, check, or money order payable to ‘University of Pittsburgh’;
- Complete individual transcripts of work done in all undergraduate and graduate study (an overall minimum QPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale for previous undergraduate work is required);
- Official, third-party evaluation of all international transcripts for applicants who have not received a master’s degree within the United States. We strongly recommend using World Education Services (WES) to complete this service;
- Three letters of recommendation;
- A written statement of career goals and degree objectives;
- A score of at least 550 (213 on the computer based test) on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or at least Band 6.5 on the International English Testing (IELTS) for all applicants whose native language is not English and who have not received an academic degree from an accredited institution in the United States.
We welcome your application to the School of Education! You can begin your online application through the University’s Apply Yourself web portal. If you have questions during the application process, please contact Admissions and Enrollment Services.
English Education Certificate Program
Students who have completed the English Education certification program at the University of Pittsburgh may transfer up to 18 graduate-level course credits from their certification coursework to the MEd program. Students should consult their advisors for the exact number of credits they can transfer.
Please visit MEd in English and Communications Curriculum for a full list of program courses and descriptions.
Additionally, a comprehensive, take-home exam is required for all degree candidates. The exam will:
- determine your eligibility to be awarded the master’s degree.
- provide some indication of your depth of knowledge in a selected field.
- provide evidence of your ability to relate a content field to theoretical, research, or practical applications.
The exam will be evaluated by two faculty members from the English Education program. The exam will be in the form of a PowerPoint presentation that you can use to support your professional community, drawing on the work done during the program. The examination is typically taken during the last term of study.
Inquiries and General Information
Feel free to contact us with questions or for application assistance at any time.
General Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
School of Education
5500 Wesley W. Posvar Hall
230 South Bouquet Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15260