The Masters of Education in Mathematics Education is a professional degree for beginning and experienced teachers wanting to advance their backgrounds as mathematics teachers, which preparing them for admission to doctoral study. Students complete a minimum of 36 credits in pursuit of advanced study in this field.
While there are no specific pre-requisites, applicants are expected to have completed an undergraduate degree in a related field.
- Completed School of Education Admissions Application;
- A non-refundable application fee of $50 (USD) by credit card, check, or money order payable to ‘University of Pittsburgh’;
complete individual transcripts of all undergraduate and graduate study (an overall minimum QPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale in undergraduate work or other graduate work is required)
- Official, third-party evaluation of all international transcripts for applicants who have not received a master’s degree within the United States. We strongly recommend using, World Education Services (WES), to complete this service;
- a written statement of career goals and degree objectives;
- a score of at least 550 (213 on the computer based test) on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or at least Band 6.5 on the International English Testing (IELTS) for all applicants whose native language is not English and who have not received an academic degree from an accredited institution in the United States;
- three letters of recommendation that can speak to your academic potential.
- Fall Deadline: Rolling admissions, with priority given to applications received by March 1
- Spring Deadline: Rolling admissions, with priority given to applications received by November 1
- Summer Deadline: Rolling admissions, with priority given to applications received by March 1
We welcome your application to the School of Education! You can begin your online application through the University’s Apply Yourself web portal. If you have questions during the application process, please contact Admissions and Enrollment Services.
Please visit MEd Mathematics Education Curriculum for a full list of program courses and descriptions.
Inquiries and General Information
Feel free to contact us with questions or for application assistance at any time.
General Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
School of Education
5500 Wesley W. Posvar Hall
230 South Bouquet Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15260