The Certificate in Nursing Research is a multidisciplinary non-degree certificate for bachelor’s prepared nurses who are seeking focused education in the field of research. Current graduate students and those who have completed a graduate degree are also eligible. This certificate particularly targets nurses interested in advancing their knowledge and skills as clinical research coordinators and quality assurance managers. The curriculum builds upon the students’ existing research knowledge and skills and enhances their expertise to conduct and coordinate clinical research studies following federal regulations and Good Clinical Practice (GCP). Graduates broaden their marketability in a variety of clinical research settings.The program requires a total of 17 credits. Potential topical areas include but are not limited to pathophysiology across the lifespan, health promotion and disease prevention in culturally diverse populations, introduction to genetics and molecular therapeutics, leadership development, and organizational and management theory.
Graduates of the Certificate in Nursing Research are eligible for National Certification as a Certified Clinical Research Coordinator by the Association of Clinical Research Professionals (ACRP) after successful completion of the Clinical Research Coordinator (CRC) Certification Exam. (Note: clinical research coordinator experience is required for exam). Graduates are prepared to accomplish the following:
- Conduct and coordinate clinical studies sponsored by the federal government, industry, and foundations for phase I, II, and III studies of drugs, devices, and biologics as well as behavioral interventions across the lifespan
- Pursue employment as quality assurance managers, clinical research coordinators or monitors in Schools of the Health Sciences, Pharmaceutical Companies, Clinical Research Organizations, Institutional Review Boards, Education and Compliance Offices, and other research settings
- Pursue a PhD as some courses may be applied toward the PhD curriculum
The following criteria is required for entrance into the program:
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) degree from a CCNE or NLN accredited program of nursing. Non-BSN prepared registered nurses with a bachelor’s degree in a non-nursing field will be evaluated individually.
- A GPA of 3.0 or higher in the undergraduate degree.
- Current license as a Registered Nurse in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
- At least 1 year of nursing experience.
- A pre-admission interview.
- Three professional recommendations.
- Official scores on the Graduate Record Examination (GRE). The GRE may be waived if the GPA is 3.5 or higher.
- Prerequisite statistics course.
- Short essay.
Please visit the Certificate in Nursing Research Curriculum page for a full list of program courses and descriptions.
Inquiries and General Information
If you have questions about enrollment or registration, please contact the School of Nursing Student Affairs & Alumni Relations Office.
- Phone: 412-624-4586
- Toll Free: 1-888-747-0794
- Email: email@example.com
School of Nursing
3500 Victoria Street
240 Victoria Bldg.
Pittsburgh, PA 15261